Old Fashioned Malted Chocolate Cake
Don't wait for a birthday, graduation, or wedding for this one. Invite your people. Let them eat cake.
PREP TIME : 45 Minutes
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine (1-1/2 sticks) , softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups crushed WHOPPERS Malted Milk Balls . divided
- ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING (recipe follows)
- MILK CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE (recipe follows)`
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line two 9-inch round baking pans with foil, extending foil beyond pan edges. Grease and flour lined pans.
- 2. Combine butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in mixer bowl; beat on medium speed until well blended. Add syrup; blend thoroughly. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add alternately with water to butter mixture, beating until blended. Add 1/2 cup crushed malted milk balls. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
- 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle 1/4 cup crushed malted milk balls over surface of each cake layer. Cool completely. Lift cake layers from pans; peel away foil.
- 4. Prepare ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING. Frost cake; sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup crushed malted milk balls over surface. Drizzle MILK CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE over top. Makes 12 servings.
- ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: Beat 6 tablespoons softened butter or margarine until creamy. Add 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa and 2-2/3 cups powdered sugar alternately with 1/3 cup milk; beat to spreading consistency (additional milk may be needed). Blend in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. About 2 cups frosting.
- MILK CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE: Combine 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Kitchens Milk Chocolate Chips and 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil); gently heat until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
- ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350 F. Pour batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with 1/2 cup crushed malted milk balls. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool completely. Frost; top with remaining 1/2 cup crushed malted milk balls. Drizzle with MILK CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE using 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening.