Peanut Surprise Balls
Prep Time: 46 mins
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup REESE'S Creamy Peanut Butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3-2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups (8-oz. pkg.) REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups Minis
- 3 cups finely crushed peanuts
- 2 cups (11.5-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Grease 8- or 9-inch square pan.
- Heat butter, peanut butter and milk in medium saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is melted and smooth. With wooden spoon gradually beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Remove from heat; spread in prepared pan. Cool completely. (Mixture will appear dry, but softens when rolled into balls.)
- Line 2 trays with waxed paper. Spread crushed peanuts on one tray; set aside. Roll peanut butter mixture into 1-inch balls. Flatten each ball slightly; press around one mini peanut butter cup, covering cup completely. Place balls on second tray. If necessary, refrigerate peanut butter balls until firm enough to handle easily for coating.
- Place milk chocolate chips and shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Cool slightly.
- Dip peanut butter balls, one at a time, completely into chocolate mixture with fork. Gently tap fork on side of bowl to remove excess chocolate. Immediately roll in crushed peanuts; gently reshape if necessary. Place candy balls into small paper candy cups or return to wax paper-lined tray. Refrigerate until firm, about 20 minutes. Store in cool, dry place. About 48 candies.