1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add alternately with buttermilk to butter mixture. Drop by rounded teaspoons about 2 inches apart onto prepared cookie sheet. Lightly press several almond slices on top of half of the cookies.
3. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until cookie springs back when touched lightly in center. Place cookie sheet on wire rack; sprinkle cookie tops with additional sugar, if desired. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Spread about 2 teaspoons chocolate spread onto flat side of one plain cookie. Place flat side of almond topped cookie on top making a sandwich. Makes about 20 filled cookies.
* To sour milk: Use 1 teaspoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1/3 cup.
Variation: Stir 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted almond slices into HERSHEY'S Spreads Chocolate.