1. Grease two 9-inch round baking pans. Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and 4 tablespoons softened butter in small bowl until smooth; spread half of mixture in bottom of each prepared pan. Set aside.
2. Combine contents of hot roll mix package, yeast packet and granulated sugar in large bowl. Using spoon, stir in water, 2 tablespoons butter and egg until dough pulls away from sides of bowl. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. With lightly floured hands, shape into ball. Knead 5 minutes or until smooth, using additional flour if necessary.
3. To shape: Using lightly floured rolling pin, roll into 15 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread with remaining 4 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar and cinnamon chips, pressing lightly into dough. Starting with 12-inch side, roll tightly as for jelly roll; seal edges.
4. Cut into 1-inch-wide slices with floured knife. Arrange 6 slices, cut sides down, in each prepared pan. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
5. Heat oven to 350°F. Uncover rolls. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 2 minutes in pan; with knife, loosen around edges of pan. Invert onto serving plates. Serve warm or at room temperature. 12 cinnamon buns.