1. Heat oven to 375°F.
2. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large bowl with mixer until creamy. Add eggs; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
PAN RECIPE: Spread batter in greased 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake at 375°F. 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely; cut into bars. About 4 dozen bars.
HERSHEY'S "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES: Simply add 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa to your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
SKOR & CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES: Use 1 cup finely chopped SKOR bars and 1 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips in place of 2 cups chocolate chips; omit nuts. Drop and bake as directed.
ICE CREAM SANDWICH: Press one small scoop vanilla ice cream between two cookies.
HIGH ALTITUDE DIRECTIONS (classic cookies):
- Increase flour to 2-2/3 cups.
- Decrease baking soda to 3/4 teaspoon.
- Decrease granulated sugar to 2/3 cup.
- Decrease packed light brown sugar to 2/3 cup.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon water with flour.
- Bake at 375°F, 5 to 7 minutes or until top is light golden with golden brown edges.