1. Beat 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter and 1 cup sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add corn syrup, egg and vanilla; blend well.
2. Place peanut butter chips and remaining 1/4 cup butter in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes; stir until smooth when stirred. OR (Heat peanut butter chip mixture in saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly, just until melted and smooth when stirred.) Blend into butter mixture.
3. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; add to peanut butter mixture, blending well. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
4. Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.