1. Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
2. Beat shortening and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to shortening mixture. Drop by teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until cookies spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely. Prepare CREME FILLING. Place 2 cookies, flat sides together, with about 1 tablespoon filling. Makes about 36 filled cookies.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup marshmallow creme
1-1/4 cups powdered sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained (optional)
1. Beat butter and shortening in medium bowl until creamy. Gradually add marshmallow creme, beating well.
2. Gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until well blended. Stir in cherries, if desired. About 1-1/2 cups filling.