1. Prepare CANDIED ORANGE PEEL.
2. Heat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with heavy duty foil; smooth out wrinkles.
3. Combine butter, sugar, milk and corn syrup in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Continue cooking, without stirring, until syrup reaches 230°F. on candy thermometer or until syrup spins 2-inch thread when dropped from fork or spoon. Remove from heat; stir in flour, candied orange peel, almonds and vanilla. (To keep mixture from hardening, immediately place pan over hot water). Drop mixture by level teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheets, placing at least 4 inches apart. (Mixture will spread during baking making 2-1/2 to 3-inch cookies.)
4. Bake 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are bubbly all over and are light brown caramel color. Remove from oven; cool completely. (Carefully slide foil off cookie sheet to reuse cookie sheet; prepare with foil for next use.) Cool cookies completely on foil; gently peel off foil.
5. Prepare CHOCOLATE FILLING; spread about 1/2 teaspoon on flat side of one cookie; gently press on another cookie, flat sides together. Wrap individually in plastic wrap. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Store tightly covered in refrigerator. Makes about 24 filled cookies.
CANDIED ORANGE PEEL: Cut outer peel (no white membrane) of 2
small navel oranges into 1/2-inch wide strips. Cut across strips to make 1/2x1/8-inch pieces. Place peel, 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in small saucepan. Cook over very low heat until bottom of pan is covered only with glazed peel; do not caramelize. Remove from heat; spoon onto wax paper. Cool.
CHOCOLATE FILLING: Place 1 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.