1. Combine sugar, cocoa, coffee, shortening and cinnamon in small saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and creamy. Cool to room temperature.
2. Stir together pie crust mix and 3/4 cup of the cocoa mixture, blending well. Shape into smooth ball; refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Heat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with foil; mark two 8-inch circles on each. Cut pastry ball into 4 pieces; form each into small ball. Place balls of pastry on foil; press with fingers into marked circles.
4. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until almost set; cool on cookie sheets. Combine whipping cream and remaining cocoa mixture in small bowl; beat until stiff.
5. Place one pastry round on serving plate; spread with one-fourth whipped cream mixture. Repeat layering with remaining three rounds and whipped cream mixture, ending with whipped cream. Refrigerate several hours; cut in wedges to serve. Garnish with small chocolate chips. 12 servings.