Stay In The Know! Subscribe to HERSHEY'S Free Newsletters.
Sign up today to receive wonderful recipes, great gift ideas, activities, and lots of tips and advice directly to your email inbox. It's free and easy, and you'll be one of the first to know about special offers, coupons, sweepstakes, and new products.
Enjoy this HERSHEY’S chocolate mixture, ideal for coating and dipping nearly anything!
2 tablespoons shortening
2 cups HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips, HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate
1. Cover tray with wax paper.
2. Place chocolate chips and shortening in medium heat-proof bowl. In separate large heat-proof bowl, put very warm water (100° to 110°F.) to 1-inch depth. Carefully place bowl with chocolate into bowl with water; water should come halfway up side of chocolate bowl.
3. Stir chocolate and shortening CONSTANTLY with dry rubber scraper until chocolate and shortening are melted and mixture is smooth. *Do NOT get water in bowl with chocolate. (If water cools, replace it with very warm water as directed above; water temperature is important to success). Remove chocolate bowl from inside water bowl.
4. With fork, dip chilled centers into chocolate mixture, one at a time; gently tap fork on edge of bowl to remove excess chocolate.** Invert coated center on prepared tray; swirl small amount of melted chocolate on top to cover fork marks; let stand until firm. Store candies loosely covered in cool, dry place. Coating for 4 dozen centers.
* If water or moisture gets into chocolate, it can seize and tighten. As an emergency measure, ONLY, stir in additional shortening, 1/2 teaspoonful at a time, just until chocolate is fluid again.
** If chocolate mixture cools below 84°F, return bowl with chocolate into bowl with warm water. Chocolate is best for coating between 84° and 88°F.
CHOCOLATE CANDY IN MOLDS: Melt chocolate with shortening as directed above; remove bowl from inside water bowl. Spoon chocolate mixture into plastic candy molds; let stand until firm. Invert molds over prepared tray; tap candy from molds onto tray. Store as directed above. About 4 dozen 1x1-1/2 inch candies.
"Ad Alert" is our way of telling you that the website you're viewing may be trying to sell you something. If you are under the age of 18, always get permission from your parent or guardian before you make a purchase or even submit any information about yourself online. Thanks!