Stay In The Know! Subscribe to HERSHEY'S Free Newsletters.
Sign up today to receive wonderful recipes, great gift ideas, activities, and lots of tips and advice directly to your email inbox. It's free and easy, and you'll be one of the first to know about special offers, coupons, sweepstakes, and new products.
Decorative confections transform these cupcakes into a popular holiday gift.
2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup water
1 container Vanilla frosting (homemade or ready-to-spread)
Few drops red food color (optional)
1/4 cup maraschino cherries (optional)
Decorative themed candies, colored sprinkles or sugars (optional)
OPEN CHOCOLATE HEARTS (directions follow)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line about 30 muffin cups (2-1/2 inch in diameter) with paper or foil baking cups.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
3. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on wire rack.
4. Frost with vanilla frosting or tint all or part of frosting with a few drops of red food color to get pink. Stir in chopped maraschino cherries, if desired. (For best results, dry cherries thoroughly on paper towels.) Garnish with decorative candies, sprinkles and OPEN CHOCOLATE HEARTS, if desired. About 30 cupcakes.
OPEN CHOCOLATE HEARTS:
Cover tray or cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place 1 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and smooth when stirred. Spoon melted chocolate into small squeeze bottle, pastry bag or strong resealable plastic food storage bag fitted with writing tip*. Pipe freehand hearts or follow patterns by drawing heart shapes on paper that is slipped under the waxed paper. Refrigerate hearts about 30 minutes or until firm.
* Plastic food storage bags can be used without the writing tip. Simply fill bag and then snip off a very small section of one bag corner.
Great chocolate flavor, light and airy. I will be making these over box mix from now on! A couple things to note: do not over fill muffin cups and they have a flat top vs. domed top. I poured the batter into a measuring cup with a pour spout to fill the muffin cups, as it is very runny and you can't scoop it like typical batter. I also made the dark chocolate hearts for decoration and they turned out very cute!
This recipe is simple and delicious and quick!
Simply, easy and delicious! These cupcakes are not a cakey cupcake, they are fluffy and light! Yummy!
Sweet! Love them!
This is the best chocolate cupcakes I have tasted. The flavor and texture of these cupcakes is wonderful! They turned out light and fluffy!
"Ad Alert" is our way of telling you that the website you're viewing may be trying to sell you something. If you are under the age of 18, always get permission from your parent or guardian before you make a purchase or even submit any information about yourself online. Thanks!