This easy homemade vanilla icing will be your go-to recipe for cakes and cupcakes of all sorts. And when you make vanilla frosting from scratch, you have the option to toss in chocolate chips for added texture and flavor.
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 5 Minutes
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- 1. Beat butter, shortening and vanilla in large mixer bowl until blended. Beat in 1 cup powdered sugar, beating until creamy.
- 2. Beat in remaining powdered sugar alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency. Makes about 2-2/3 cups frosting.
- VANILLA FROSTING with CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Stir 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, HERSHEY'S Kitchens SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips, HERSHEY'S Kitchens Milk Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Kitchens Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate into prepared frosting.