They're alive! Okay, not quite. But these chocolate monster cupcakes are sure to be the life of any party. If it's Halloween or a scary birthday bash, you can decorate these easy cupcakes at home or with the kids. They're a fun fright for everyone.
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 57 Minutes
- HERSHEY'S “ESPECIALLY DARK” CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES (recipe follows under directions)
- 6-1/2 cups vanilla frosting
- 16 drops Green food color
- 3/4 cup chocolate sprinkles
- 72 pieces candy eyes
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Kitchens SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips
- 1 teaspoon red sprinkles
- 1. Prepare HERSHEY'S "ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES; cool completely. Tint vanilla frosting to desired shade of green.
- 2. Spoon or pipe about 3 tablespoons frosting on top of each cupcake. Flatten top of frosting and edge off sides with knife or spatula.
- 3. Cover top of each cupcake with chocolate sprinkles. Position candy eyes on side of green frosting; add chocolate chip "bolts" to the side and design scar with red sprinkles or thin frosting.Use similar techniques to design a Monster bride, if desired. Carefully remove cupcake papers, if desired and place on serving plate. Makes about 36 decorated cupcakes.
- HERSHEY'S "ESPECIALLY DARK" CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup HERSHEY'S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Kitchens SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips
- 1. Heat oven to 350° F. Line 36 muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with foil or paper baking cups.
- 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill each cup about half full with batter.
- 3. Bake 10 minutes; carefully sprinkle 10 to 12 (about 1 teaspoon) chocolate chips on top of each cupcake. Continue baking an additional 15 to 17 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Makes about 36 cupcakes.