JOLLY RANCHER Candy Apples
Candy apples make the perfect autumn treat. Coat tart apples in a candy shell made from melted JOLLY RANCHER Hard Candies, and add an extra drizzle of HERSHEY'S Premier White Creme Chips. They make a great host gift or a special dessert.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 10 Minutes
- 2-1/2 cups (about 50) Cherry JOLLY RANCHER Original Hard Candies
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 4 pointed ice-pop sticks or thick skewers (available in craft stores)
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Kitchens Premier White Creme Chips (optional)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- 1. Heat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheet or cookie sheet with wax paper; set aside. Remove wrappers from candies. Wash and dry apples; remove stems. Press stick into center of each apple. (The apple should stay on the stick when you lift it, but don't push all the way through.)
- 2. Place candies in medium oven-safe container or pot. (Heatproof glass measuring cup works well.) Heat candies in oven 15 to 20 minutes or until fully melted, but before beginning to bubble. (Do not stir unless necessary in order to avoid air bubbles on the apples.) Remove from oven; place on heatproof surface.
- 3. One apple at a time, dip apple into candy mixture, tilting pan as needed so that apples are covered almost all the way to the top. Allow excess coating to drip off; place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all apples are coated. (If the candy mixture begins to get firm, return pot to oven 2 to 3 minutes. Cool completely to room temperature (10 to 15 minutes).
- Drizzle with melted white creme chips*, if desired. Allow to set 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Makes 4 coated apples.
- * Place white creme chips and shortening in microwave-safe container. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
- Recipe provided to The Hershey Company by PureWow and used with permission.