HERSHEY'S Holiday House Recipe
The traditional holiday gingerbread house has been transformed into a chocolate holiday house.
SKILL LEVEL : AdvancedPREP TIME : 1 hour 30 Minutes
- 5 to 6 XL HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Bars (4.4 oz. each), unwrapped and divided
- 1 to 2 XL KIT KAT® Milk Chocolate Bars (4.5 oz. each), unwrapped
- Small wrapped candies (optional)
- Assorted HERSHEY'S Candies for decoration
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- ROYAL ICING (recipe follows)
- 1. Always have chocolate bars positioned so that you can read the word "HERSHEY'S" left to right. Follow directions in Steps 2 and 3 to make house sections.
- 2. Make house ends by cutting 1 bar in half making 2 squares of 8 sections; cut house sides by cutting large rectangle (3 sections across and 4 sections high) from 2 bars. Set aside remaining rows of chocolate sections to be used for top floor of house.
- 3. Cut 5 chocolate pieces that are each 2 sections across and 2 sections high. Make 2 house gables and 3 roof supports by cutting each from top center point of piece down to the lower right and left corners to make triangles. Save extra chocolate for melting to "glue" house sections together.
- 4. Place piece of wax paper on counter. Place chocolate trimmings in small heavy-duty (freezer) food storage bag. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; knead chocolate and bag. Microwave in 10 second increments until chocolate is melted and smooth. Clip off one corner of bag about 1/4 inch from point. Pipe melted chocolate on top edge of each house end; attach gable. Lay flat on wax paper until firm.
- 5. Remove wrapper from KITKAT® XL Bar and place onto a cake plate or board as the foundation of your house. Option, secure bar in place by piping chocolate onto surface before adding the bar.
- 6. “Glue” remaining sections to form box for house. Allow chocolate to firm. Fill interior of the house with wrapped candies, if desired.
- 7. Place the 2 reserved chocolate rows from cutting house sides on cutting board. Cut 2 more chocolate pieces (1 section across and 4 sections high)
- 8. Pipe melted chocolate along top edge of house sides. Evenly space roof supports, trimming and using chocolate rectangle “floor boards” cut in Step 7 to support and hold roof supports in place. Allow to firm.
- 9. Cut remaining KITKAT® XL Bar into 2 two-finger sections. Pipe melted chocolate on edges of roof supports, gables and top edge of house sides. Position these sections on each side of house to complete roof. Allow to firm.
- 10. Prepare and decorate house with ROYAL ICING and candies. Dust house roof with powdered sugar, if desired.
- ROYAL ICING: Stir together 2-1/4 cups powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon pasteurized dried egg whites (meringue powder). Add 3 tablespoons warm water. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until spreadable. Add additional water, 1 teaspoon at a time, if too thick. 1 cup icing.