Grilled Chocolate, Hazelnut and Ricotta Calzones
When an Italian dish turns into an Italian dessert, you’re in for a special treat. This grilled calzone recipe calls for stuffing pizza dough with decadent treats like HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Chips, hazelnuts and ricotta cheese. When in Rome, make chocolate chip calzones!
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 2 pounds prepared pizza dough
- 1-1/2 cups HERSHEY'S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into ball; flatten on lightly floured surface into 5-inch circle.
2. Stir together in medium bowl chocolate chips, ricotta and hazelnuts. Place about 2 tablespoons chip mixture in center of each circle; flatten slightly. Fold dough over mixture to create half circle; pinch edges to seal with fingers or fork prongs.
3. Preheat grill* to medium-high; grease grates well. Place calzones directly on grates; cook 2 to 3 minutes or until well marked and set on bottom. Carefully flip calzones. Reduce heat to medium-low. Grill, covered, 4 to 5 minutes or until dough is thoroughly baked. Transfer to rack. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Makes 12 calzones.
* Calzones may also be made in frying pan or on griddle. Generously spray pan with vegetable cooking spray and cook following above directions for doneness. Wipe pan clean and respray between batches.
Tip: Calzones can be made ahead; cooled and frozen up to two weeks. Thaw before grilling.