Cookie Truffles 3 Ways
This cookie truffles recipe makes the perfect finger food or bite-size dessert for parties. Choose from peanut butter, sugar cookie and chocolate chip varieties—or make all three and have your friends and family vote for their favorite.
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 45 Minutes
- 36 (about 14-oz. pkg.) chocolate vanilla cream filled sandwich cookies (about 3 cups crushed)
- 1 package cream cheese (8 oz.), softened
- 2 cups HERSHEY'S Kitchens Milk Chocolate Chips (11.5-oz. pkg.)
- 2 tablespoons shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Assorted toppings such as HERSHEY'S Kitchens Mini Chocolate Chips, Coarsely chopped REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips, Chopped nuts, Coconut and crushed cookie crumbs
- 1. Line 2 trays or cookie sheets with wax paper. Break cookies and process in food processor or place in heavy-duty (freezer) food storage bag and crush to make fine crumbs using a rolling pin.
- 2. Mix cookie crumbs and cream cheese in medium bowl until well combined. Divide mixture (mixture will be soft) into 36 equal balls (about 1 inch each); place on one prepared tray. Refrigerate about 1 hour or freeze 20 minutes.
- 3. Place milk chocolate chips and shortening in deep microwave-safe bowl (such as a glass measuring cup). Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
- 4. One at a time, place cookie balls on fork and dip into melted chocolate mixture; gently tap off excess coating. (If coating mixture cools and coating becomes difficult, microwave at MEDIUM 10 to 15 seconds; stir.) Place on second prepared tray. Before coating sets, sprinkle tops of cookie balls with desired toppings.
- 5. Refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm. Serve chilled. Cover and refrigerate leftover truffles. Makes 36 cookie truffles
- PEANUT BUTTER COOKIE TRUFFLES: Substitute 3 cups crushed peanut butter cream filled peanut butter sandwich cookies (about 24 cookies or about 16-oz. pkg.) for the chocolate vanilla cream filled sandwich cookies.
- SUGAR COOKIE TRUFFLES: Substitute 3 cups crushed soft sugar cookies (about 9 (3-inch) cookies) for chocolate vanilla cream filled sandwich cookies and reduce cream cheese to 6 oz. (3/4 cup).