Chocolate Chip Babka Bread
Get inspired in the kitchen and bake this delightful chocolate babka. HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips get turned into the swirls that make this fluffy, sweet bread a perfect treat. Top it off with crumbly streusel and a chocolate glaze and make babka your new go-to dessert.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 45 Minutes
- STREUSEL (recipe follows)
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour for recipe and dusting surfaces, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (7 grams) rapid rise highly active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- CHOCOLATE FILLING (recipe follows)
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE (recipe follows)
- 1. Prepare STREUSEL; set aside. Grease 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- 2. Stir together 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast in large mixer bowl; set aside. Combine butter, water and milk in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted and mixture is very warm (120°F to 130°). Gradually add to flour mixture, beating on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Separate 1 egg; cover and refrigerate egg white for separate step. Add remaining whole egg, egg yolk and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft dough forms. Turn dough onto well-floured surface.
- 3. Knead in enough remaining flour until dough is elastic and forms a smooth ball (3 to 5 minutes). Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- 4. Punch down and cover. While dough is resting, prepare CHOCOLATE FILLING.
- 5. Heat oven to 325°F. Roll dough into a 14-inch square on lightly floured surface. Spread filling onto square within 1/4 inch of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from one end; place seam side down. Holding dough by ends, fold in half and twist dough into figure 8, two times.
- 6. Place in prepared pan. Beat reserved egg white; brush over dough surface. Let rise again about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Sprinkle top with prepared STREUSEL, pressing lightly into dough.
- 7. Bake 30 to 35 minutes; cover with foil and bake 10 additional minutes. Remove from pan. Place on cooling rack. Cool completely. Drizzle with CHOCOLATE GLAZE. Makes about 9 servings.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Stir together flour, brown sugar and granulated sugar in small bowl. Add butter; stir until crumbs form.
- CHOCOLATE FILLING
- 1 cup HERSHEY’S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place chocolate chips and butter in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and salt; stir until combined.
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Place chocolate chips and milk in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 15 seconds or until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Add powdered sugar, stirring until combined.