Chocolate Buttercream Cherry Candies Recipe
Maraschino cherries with a white chip coating for a finishing touch.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 90 Minutes
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
- WHITE CHIP COATING (recipe follows)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE (recipe follows)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 48 maraschino cherries
- 1. Cover tray with wax paper. Lightly press cherries between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
2. Beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa and 1 tablespoon milk in small bowl until well blended; stir in vanilla and almond extract. If necessary, add remaining milk, one teaspoonful at a time, until mixture will hold together but is not wet.
3. Mold scant teaspoonful mixture around each cherry, covering completely; place on prepared tray. Cover; refrigerate 3 hours or until firm.
4. Prepare WHITE CHIP COATING. Holding each cherry by stem, dip into coating. Place on tray; refrigerate until firm.
5. About 1 hour before serving, prepare CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE; with tines of fork, drizzle randomly over candies. Refrigerate until drizzle is firm. Store in refrigerator. About 4 dozen candies.
WHITE CHIP COATING: Place 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) HERSHEY'S Premier White Chips in small microwave-safe bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. If mixture thickens while coating, microwave at MEDIUM for 15 seconds; stir until smooth.
CHOCOLATE CHIP DRIZZLE: Place 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1/4 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, oil or spreads) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds to 1 minute; stir until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.