Black Rose Cupcakes with Buttercream Frosting
No Halloween party is complete without a spooky dessert. This chocolate cupcake recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Black food coloring turns this Swiss meringue frosting into a Halloween-ready black rose!
SKILL LEVEL : EXPERT
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting (recipe follows)
- Piping bag
- 2D Rose Flower piping tip
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line 24 muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper or foil bake cups.
- 2. Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt, water, oil, vinegar and vanilla in large bowl; beat until thoroughly blended. Fill muffin cups 3/4 full with batter.
- 3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- 4. Fill piping bag with frosting. Starting from the center, work in a circular motion to frost each cupcake with a black rose.
SWISS MERINGUE BUTTER CREAM FROSTING
- 6 large egg whites
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups butter, cubed
Black food dye
- 1. Whisk together egg whites and sugar in a metal bowl. Make sure the bowl is grease free. This can be done by cleaning it with a vinegar and water mixture.
- 2. Bring 1-2" of water to simmer. Place bowl with egg and sugar mixture over the simmering water. Stir constantly with a whisk until the mixture is no longer grainy.
- 3. Whisk mixture in a stand mixer on medium-high until meringue is stiff.
- 4. Add butter to meringue mixture 2 or 3 cubes at a time. Beat until frosting is smooth.
- 5. Add a few drops of black food coloring and beat until incorporated. Add a few drops at a time until desired color is reached.