Banana Nibby Bread
SCHARFFEN BERGER roasted cacao nibs add a pleasant nutty crunch to this easy loaf, adapted from a James Beard classic. Enjoy it plain or dressed up with crème fraiche.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas, about 2 to 3 depending on size
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup SCHARFFEN BERGER Cacao Nibs
- 9x5x3 inch loaf pan, greased
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Cream the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment until it is light in color. Add the granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time. Next add the bananas and blend thoroughly.
3. Add the lemon juice to the milk. It may curdle slightly.
4. Alternate the addition of dry ingredients in three parts with milk in two parts as follows: mix in one third of the flour mixture, followed by half of the milk mixture. Repeat with another third of the flour followed by the remaining milk and finally the remaining of the flour. After each addition, mix only until the ingredients are blended.
5. Fold in the nibs. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
6. Bake for 1 hour or until the bread springs back when lightly touched in the middle.
7. Cool the loaf in the pan on a rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Unmold and cool the loaf on the rack.