Finding the perfect gift is never easy. It requires a great deal of thought, and it should always be meaningful. At HERSHEY’S Kitchens, we take the annual ritual of gift giving seriously, so we came up with these layered cookie jars, and we think they couldn’t be any more adorable. No matter who you give them to, they’ll appreciate the fact that you cared enough to make something instead of buying it. And you’ll know how much joy they’ll take from baking these at home with their friends and family. It really is the gift that keeps on giving...cookies.
Here’s how to make them:
- First, find a clean quart jar (holds 4 cups). The taller glassware options will show more layers, so we recommend selecting those over flat, wide jars.
- Layer the dry ingredients like salt, flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and brown sugar. Place them on the bottom, alternating colors and textures. Start with the finest ingredients first, as they tend to mix up faster when they are towards the top of the jar. Where possible, pack the ingredients down before adding the next layer to avoid the layers from mixing easily.
- Next, add the chips, oatmeal or nuts (depends on the recipe used). Keep these towards the top to avoid the dry ingredients from sifting through these bigger pieces and making a dusty effect. Organize by size once again, this time starting with the smallest to the biggest pieces.
- If you find you have a little extra room on the top of the jar, don’t close it. Simply add a few extra chips or nuts to make sure your beautiful layers stay put.
- Then seal it up, decorate with ribbons and bows. And don’t forget to write or print out the recipe and attach it to the jar by using a hole-punch and a ribbon.
We’ve also thought of some great recipes that would work perfectly for this project! Get the little ones to help you decorate!
From all of us at HERSHEY’S Kitchens, have a yummy and happy gift-giving season!