It’s the time of year to spread cheer and indulge together. What better recipe to celebrate the holidays than with the sweet tradition of babka bread. Buttery, flaky dough swirled with rivers of chocolate, and covered in crumble—it’s the perfect combination of soft layers and rich chocolate.
Whether you’re having everyone over for a holiday dinner, bringing dessert to your next potluck, or looking for a neighborly gift to spread some cheer, try your hand with this twisted treat and understand why it’s remained a holiday staple for generations.
What you’ll need:
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup HERSHEY’S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Kitchens Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Prepare STREUSEL; set aside. Grease 9x5x3-inch loaf pan; set aside.
- Stir together 1 cup flour, sugar, salt and yeast in large mixer bowl; set aside. Combine butter, water and milk in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted and mixture is very warm (120°F to 130°). Gradually add to flour mixture, beating on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Separate 1 egg; cover and refrigerate egg white for separate step. Add remaining whole egg, egg yolk and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft dough forms. Turn dough onto well-floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour until dough is elastic and forms a smooth ball (3 to 5 minutes). Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Punch down and cover. While dough is resting, prepare CHOCOLATE FILLING.
- Heat oven to 325°F. Roll dough into a 14-inch square on lightly floured surface. Spread filling onto square within 1/4 inch of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting from one end; place seam side down. Holding dough by ends, fold in half and twist dough into figure 8, two times.
- Place in prepared pan. Beat reserved egg white; brush over dough surface. Let rise again about 1 hour or until doubled in size. Sprinkle top with prepared STREUSEL, pressing lightly into dough.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes; cover with foil and bake 10 additional minutes. Remove from pan. Place on cooling rack. Cool completely. Drizzle with CHOCOLATE GLAZE. Makes about 9 servings.
Stir together flour, brown sugar and granulated sugar in small bowl. Add butter; stir until crumbs form.
Place chocolate chips and butter in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and salt; stir until combined.
Place chocolate chips and milk in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 15 seconds or until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Add powdered sugar, stirring until combined.
For more baking ideas, check out our full range of recipes here.
From all of us at HERSHEY’S Kitchens,