At HERSHEY’S Kitchens, we love developing and perfecting our recipes, and we can say without a doubt that after trying several different ideas, these are the best brownies we’ve ever tasted. Sometimes it’s hard to say that with a mouth full of brownie, but we do our best.
But we don’t stop there; we wanted to take these beauties to the next level. So how do we do that? By incorporating a few of the following ideas into the recipe, because variety, like brownies, is the sweet spice of life.
Here are some of our favorite tips to take those brownie recipes up a notch:
- Add a teaspoon of espresso to the batter. The coffee flavor will enhance the chocolate without giving off a strong coffee taste.
- Brownies are meant to be soft and gooey, but we’ve always found that adding another texture goes over really well — especially when it brings in a bit of savory. Add crushed pretzels, a flakey sea salt on top, a graham cracker bottom, or even a marshmallow or caramel topping for an extra boost.
- If texture is not your thing, add unique chips such as HERSHEY’S Kitchens Sea Salt Caramel Baking Chips or HEATH BITS O’ BRICKLE Toffee Bits to the completed brownie mix for an unexpectedly sweet surprise. These chips tend to melt in the baking process, creating little pockets of flavor that melt into the brownie batter.
- Top brownies with fudge for added texture and taste. Let the brownies cool down a bit before adding the fudge to ensure the fudge sets an even layer on top. We love the combination of the gooey brownie and the firmer fudge topping.
- Swap out regular cocoa powder with HERSHEY’S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa for a richer chocolate taste.
You can be sure your friends and family will be happy to taste test them all if you want to try out a few different options!