Yummy Mummy Cookies Recipe
It's a wrap! These Yummy Mummy Cookies are a delicious and fun addition to your Halloween baking.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 45 Minutes
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened (150 mL)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (250 mL)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (625 mL)
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (125 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips (approx.) (300 mL)
- 2 cups CHIPITS White Chocolate Chips (approx.) (500 mL)
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening* (approx.) (15 mL)
- 1. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat well. Stir flour with cocoa, salt and baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) mini chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes or until firm enough to handle.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Roll 1 tbsp (15 mL) dough into a 3 1/2-inch (9 cm) long, carrot shape for the mummy body; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Roll 1 tsp (5 mL) dough into a ball the size of a grape; press onto the wide end of the body. Repeat with remaining dough.
3. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes or until set. Cool slightly; remove from baking sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Microwave white chips and shortening in a microwave-safe shallow bowl on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave on MEDIUM for an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted.
5. Place 1 cookie at a time on a narrow metal spatula or a table knife. Spoon white chocolate mixture over just the top of cookie to coat; place on wax paper. As coating begins to set on cookies, use a toothpick to score lines in body and on face to resemble a mummy. Place two mini chocolate chips on each cookie for the eyes. Repeat with remaining ingredients. (Melt additional white chocolate chips with additional shortening, if extra coating is needed.) Store, covered, in cool dry place.
Makes about 30 cookies.
*do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil
Tip: If white chocolate mixture begins to thicken while decorating, return to microwave for a few seconds.