White Chip Lemon Streusel Bars Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 25 Minutes
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated) (398 mL)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (125 mL)
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel (5 mL)
- 2 cups CHIPITS White Chocolate Chips (500 mL)
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine (150 mL)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (250 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (375 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups regular rolled or quick-cooking oats (375 mL)
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces (175 mL)
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1 egg (1)
- 1/2 tsp shortening (2 mL)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease 13x9x2-inch (33x23x5-cm) baking pan. Combine sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice and lemon peel in medium bowl; set aside. Measure out 1/4 cup (50 mL) and 1/3 cup (75 mL) white chocolate chips; set aside. Add remaining white chocolate chips to lemon mixture.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar until blended in large mixer bowl. Stir together flour, oats, pecans, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, blending well. Remove 1-2/3 cups (400 mL) oat mixture; set aside. Add egg to remaining mixture, blending until crumbly. Press egg/crumb mixture on bottom of prepared pan. Gently spoon lemon mixture on top, spreading evenly. Add reserved 1/3 cup (75 mL) white chocolate chips to reserved crumb mixture. Sprinkle over lemon layer, pressing crumbs lightly.
3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool in pan on wire rack. Place remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) white chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred. Drizzle over bars. Allow drizzle to set; cut into bars.
Makes 24 to 36 bars.
*To toast pecans: Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread pecans in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 7 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown; cool.
WHITE CHOCOLATE CHIP LIME STREUSEL BARS: Make as directed above substituting lime for lemon.