Warm Chocolate Fig Cakes Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|1 cup||Mission or Calimyrna California figs, chopped (250 mL)|
|2 tbsp||finely chopped hazelnuts (filberts) or pecans (30 mL)|
|2/3 cup||butter (150 mL)|
|3/4 cup||CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (175 mL)|
|2 squares||unsweetened chocolate (2)|
|4||egg yolks (4)|
|1/2 cup||granulated sugar (125 mL)|
|3 tbsp||all-purpose flour (45 mL)||Whipped cream or ice cream (optional)|
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter eight 3/4 cup (175 mL) custard cups or spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place cups on baking sheet.
2. Sprinkle figs and nuts in bottom of cups, dividing evenly.
3. In small saucepan, heat butter, semi-sweet chocolate chips and chocolate squares over low heat or in microwave until smoothly melted; let cool slightly.
4. In large bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks and sugar on high speed of electric mixer until mixture is very thick, like meringue, about 3 minutes. Fold in chocolate mixture, gently but thoroughly. Fold in flour. Spoon batter into prepared dishes, filling almost full.
6. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until puffed and set around edges. Cool 5 minutes on baking sheet. Run knife around edge of dish and invert cake onto serving plate. Serve immediately, with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
Makes 8 cakes.
• Bake longer for a firmer cakes.