Valentine Sugar Cookie Pops Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened (175 mL)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (175 mL)
- 1 egg (1)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (2 mL)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (425 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 12 wooden popsicle sticks (12)
- CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE:
- 1/2 cup CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (125 mL)
- 1 tsp shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) (5 mL)
- Assorted frostings, sugars and small candies
- 1. Cookies: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Beat butter and sugar in medium bowl until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. (If necessary, refrigerate dough until firm enough to handle.)
2. Roll 1/4 cup (50 mL) portions of dough into balls. Place 3 portions on an ungreased cookie sheet at a time (cookies spread while baking). Insert wooden popsicle stick about three quarters of the way into side of each ball; flatten slightly.
3. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until outside edges are lightly browned and centre is set. Cool several minutes on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Chocolate Drizzle: Place chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) for 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM for an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chocolate is melted when stirred. Decorate cookies with Chocolate Drizzle and assorted frostings, sugars and small candies to make Valentine cookies.
Makes about 12 cookies.