Toasted Coconut and Sea Salt Baked Doughnuts Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 1/2 cup margarine (125 mL)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar (75 mL)
- 1/3 cups granulated sugar (75 mL)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (650 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda (1 mL)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional) (1 mL)
- 1 cup milk (250 mL)
- Toasted Coconut Topping:
- 1 cup HERSHEY’S CHIPITS INSPIRATIONS 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate Chunks (50 mL)
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut chips (125 mL)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt flakes (2 mL)
- Doughnuts: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease 12-mold doughnut pan. Using electric mixer, beat together margarine, and brown and granulated sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time; beat in vanilla.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg (if using); stir into margarine mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until smooth. Spoon into prepared doughnut molds, filling about 3/4 full.
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden and tester comes out clean when inserted in centre. Let stand in pan on rack for 10 minutes; turn out onto rack and let cool completely.
Toasted Coconut Topping: In heatproof bowl set over hot, not simmering, water, melt half of the chocolate. Dip doughnuts in chocolate and immediately sprinkle with remaining chocolate chunks, toasted coconut and salt. Let stand until chocolate has set.