Sweetheart Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 25 Minutes
|OPEN CHOCOLATE HEARTS:|
|1 cup||CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)||CUPCAKES|
|2 cups||granulated sugar (500 mL)|
|1 3/4 cups||all-purpose flour (425 mL)|
|3/4 cup||HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)|
|1 1/2 tsp||baking powder (7 mL)|
|1 1/2 tsp||baking soda (7 mL)|
|1 tsp||salt (5 mL)|
|1 cup||milk (250 mL)|
|1/2 cup||vegetable oil (125 mL)|
|2 tsp||vanilla extract (10 mL)|
|1 cup||boiling water (250 mL)||Vanilla frosting (homemade or ready-to-spread)||Red food colouring (optional)|
|1/4 cup||chopped maraschino cherries (optional) (50 mL)||Valentine's Day themed decorative candies, coloured sprinkles or sugars (optional)|
- 1. Open Chocolate Hearts: Cover a tray or cookie sheet with waxed paper. Place chocolate chips in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM for an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and smooth when stirred. Spoon melted chocolate into a small squeeze bottle, pastry bag or strong resealable plastic food storage bag fitted with writing tip*. Pipe freehand hearts or follow patterns by drawing heart shapes on paper that is slipped under the waxed paper. Refrigerate hearts about 30 minutes or until firm.
2. Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line about 30 muffin cups (2-1/2 inch/6 cm in diameter) with paper or foil baking cups.
3. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill cups 2/3 full with batter.
4. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centres comes out clean. Cool completely in pans on wire rack.
5. Stir vanilla frosting with maraschino cherries (if using). Tint all or some of the frosting with a few drops of red food colouring (if using) for pink frosting. Frost with vanilla frosting. Garnish with decorative candies, sprinkles, sugars (if using) and Open Chocolate Hearts.
Makes about 30 cupcakes.
• Plastic food storage bags can be used without the writing tip. Simply fill bag and then snip off a very small section of one bag corner.