Strawberry Chocolate Chip Shortcake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided (250 mL )
- 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine (125 mL )
- 3 eggs, divided (3)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, divided (10 mL)
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (375 mL )
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (2 mL)
- 1 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided (250 mL)
- 2 cups sour cream (500 mL)
- 2 cups frozen non-dairy whipped topping (500 mL )
- Fresh strawberries, rinsed and halved
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan.
2. Beat 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar and butter in a large bowl. Add 1 egg and 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla; beat until creamy. Gradually add the flour and baking powder, beating until smooth; stir in 1/2 cup (125 mL) chocolate chips. Press the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
3. Stir sour cream with remaining sugar, eggs and vanilla in medium bowl; stir in the remaining chocolate chips. Pour over the mixture in the pan.
4. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes until almost set and edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack; remove springform ring. Spread whipped topping over top. Chill until ready to serve. Just before serving, arrange strawberry halves on top of cake. Garnish as desired.
Makes 12 servings.