Star of the East Fruit Bread Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|1/2 cup||butter or margarine, softened (125 mL)|
|1 cup||granulated sugar (250 mL)|
|1 tsp||vanilla (5 mL)|
|2 cups||all-purpose flour (500 mL)|
|1 tsp||baking soda (5 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||salt (1 mL)|
|1 cup||mashed ripe banana (about 3 medium) (250 mL)|
|1/2 cup||chopped maraschino cherries, well drained (125 mL)|
|1 can (10 oz)||mandarin orange segments, well drained (284 mL)|
|1/2 cup||chopped dates OR Calimyrna figs (125 mL)|
|1 cup||CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)||COCOA GLAZE|
|2 tbsp||butter (30 mL)|
|2 tbsp||golden corn syrup (30 mL)|
|3 tbsp||water (45 mL)|
|3 tbsp||HERSHEY'S Cocoa (45 mL)|
|2 tsp||vanilla (10 mL)|
|1 1/2 cups||icing sugar (375 mL)|
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 8 x 4-inch (20 x 10 cm) loaf baking pans.
2. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until creamy.
3. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt; add alternately with mashed banana to butter mixture, blending well.
4. Stir in cherries, orange segments, dates and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
5. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown and tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool; remove from pans. Drizzle tops of loaves with COCOA GLAZE. Store tightly wrapped.
Makes 2 loaves.
1. In small saucepan over low heat, melt butter; stir in corn syrup. Stir in water and cocoa; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and slightly thickened.
2. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Gradually stir in icing sugar, beating to desired consistency.