Special Dark Googly Eye Cookies
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 60 Minutes
- 200 purchased or HOMEMADE CANDY EYES* in various sizes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick) (125 mL)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (125 mL)
- 6 tbsp packed light brown sugar (90 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (250 mL)
- 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (50 mL)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (2 mL)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in large bowl until creamy. Add egg; beat well.
3. Stir together flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until set. Remove from oven; immediately press 4 to 5 pairs of candy eyes into each cookie. Cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
HOMEMADE CANDY EYES:
1 cup powdered sugar (250 mL)
1-1/2 tsp pasteurized dried egg whites (meringue powder) (7 mL)
4-1/2 tsp warm water (22 mL)
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (50 mL) or 1/3 cup (75 mL) HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1. Line cookie sheet or tray with wax paper.
2. Stir together powdered sugar and pasteurized dried egg whites (meringue powder). Add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) warm water. Beat until spreadable, adding additional drops of water if necessary. Transfer mixture to pastry bag with small writing tip. (Or place in heavy-duty (freezer) storage bag; cut off tip of one corner of bag about 1/4 inch/6 mm from end.)
3. Pipe 6 to 8 (3 to 4 sets) thick dots onto prepared tray. Immediately push pointed end of chocolate chip into center of each dot to form center of eye. Repeat procedure until desired number or sets of eyes are made. Allow “eyes” to harden; peel from wax paper. If necessary, flip “eyes” so that underside can dry thoroughly. Store in airtight container. Makes about 300 eyes.
*Tip: This amount of eyes will decorate about 30 cookies. If using HOMEMADE CANDY EYES, prepare one to two days before making cookies. Store until ready to use.