Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Layer Cake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- 2 3/4 cups cake and pastry flour (675 mL)
- 2 tsp baking powder (10 mL)
- 1 tsp each baking soda and salt (5 mL)
- 3/4 cup softened butter (175 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups lightly packed brown sugar (375 mL)
- 3 eggs (3)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 3 cups sour cream (750 mL)
- 5 cups CHIPITS Milk Chocolate Chips (810 g)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly grease two 9-inch (22 cm) cake pans.
2. Stir flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Beat butter with brown sugar in a separate bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time; add the vanilla.
3. On low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sour cream, in two additions, until batter is smooth. Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
4. Divide batter equally between prepared pans. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into centre comes out clean.
5. Cool for 10 minutes; turn out onto rack to cool completely. Cut each cake into two layers.
6. Melt remaining chocolate chips in the microwave on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 to 2 minutes; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Stir in remaining sour cream; beat until fluffy.
7. Chill for 15 minutes or until frosting is as smooth and thick as peanut butter. Use to frost layers and top of cooled cake.
• Brush any loose crumbs from the cut sides of the cake with a pastry brush before frosting.
• For an even greater burst of chocolate taste, substitute HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Baking Chips with HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Chunks.