Secret Admirer HUGS and KISSES Cupcakes Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
- 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (125 mL)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (500 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (550 mL)
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (125 mL)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda (6 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1 1/3 cups water (325 mL)
- 45 HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates, unwrapped and divided (45)
- 45 HERSHEY'S HUGS Brand Milk Chocolates, unwrapped and divided (45)
- 1 pound prepared vanilla frosting (500 g)
- Red food colouring (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 30 muffin cups with paper or foil liners.
2. Beat the butter with the shortening and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Stir flour with cocoa, baking soda and salt; add alternately with water to butter mixture, beating until well blended. Fill muffin cups 1/2 full with batter. Place 1 KISS or 1 HUG on surface of each cup; do NOT press candy into batter.
3. Bake for 20 to 23 minutes or until tops spring back when touched lightly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
4. Stir frosting with several drops red food colouring (if using) for desired shade of pink frosting. Frost cupcakes. Top each cupcake with 1 KISS and 1 HUG.
Makes 30 cupcakes.