Sea Salt Caramel Torte Recipe
It's ganache with panache! Sweet and salty never tasted so good and looked so pretty! The secret? CHIPITS Sea Salt Caramel Chips.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 30 Minutes
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened (175 mL or 1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar (250 mL)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (250 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (400 mL)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)
- 1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
- 3/4 tsp salt (4 mL)
- 1 1/3 cups milk (325 mL)
- SEA SALT CARAMEL GANACHE (recipe follows)
- Additional HERSHEY'S Cocoa for dusting
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch (20 cm) round baking pans.
2. Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla, eggs and egg yolks in large bowl until combined. Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and milk, beating until blended. Divide batter evenly into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
4. Prepare SEA SALT CARAMEL GANACHE. Place one cake layer on serving plate; carefully spread heaping 1/3 cup (75 mL) ganache over top of layer. Place second layer on top; repeat layering procedure with remaining ganache and cake layer.*
4. Garnish with cocoa sifted on top of torte and sprinkle with chopped caramel chips reserved from ganache. Makes 12 servings.
SEA SALT CARAMEL GANACHE:
1 2/3 cups (400 mL)(283g pkg.) CHIPITS Sea Salt Caramel Chips, divided
1/2 cup (125 mL) heavy whipping cream
1. Coarsely chop 1 tbsp (15 mL) caramel chips; set aside. Place remaining caramel chips and whipping cream in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Cool in refrigerator 30 minutes, stirring occasionally or until desired spreading consistency.
* NOTE: To frost cake as photographed, double recipe for SEA SALT CARAMEL GANACHE; sprinkle with reserved caramel chips and sea salt flakes, if desired.