Sea Salt Caramel Easter Cupcakes
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 20 Minutes
|2 cups||granulated sugar (500 mL)|
|1 3/4 cups||all-purpose flour (425 mL)|
|3/4 cup||HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)|
|1 1/2 tsp||baking powder (7 mL)|
|1 1/2 tsp||baking soda (7 mL)|
|1 tsp||salt (5 mL)|
|1 cup||milk (250 mL)|
|1/2 cup||vegetable oil (125 mL)|
|2 tsp||vanilla extract (10 mL)|
|1 cup||boiling water (250 mL)|
|1/2 cup||HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Sea Salt Caramel Chips (125 mL)||EASTER EGG BASKET:|
|1 tub||creamy vanilla ready-to-spread frosting (16 oz/500 g)|
|1 1/3 cups||sweetened coconut flakes, tinted (325 mL)|
|Assorted HERSHEY'S Easter Candies (Jolly Rancher Jelly Beans, HERSHEY'S EGGIES Candy,||HERSHEY'S KISSES, Whoppers Robin Eggs Candy)|
|10||Twizzlers Strawberry Twists, halved|
- 1. Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 20 muffin cups (2 1/2-inch/6 cm in
diameter) with paper baking cups.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl; add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Using electric mixer, beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Fill muffin cups two-thirds full with batter.
3. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle heaping teaspoonful (5 mL) of Chipits Sea Salt Caramel Chips onto each cupcake; spread when melted. Let cool completely on rack.
4. Easter Egg Baskets: Frost each cupcake with 2 tbsp (30 mL) vanilla frosting. Sprinkle each cupcake with 1 tbsp (15 mL) tinted coconut to form nest; arrange assorted candy in each nest.
5. Insert toothpick into each end of strawberry twists; press both ends down into side of each cupcake, bending to form handle.
● Garnish with chopped toasted pistachios if desired.
● To tint coconut, combine several drops green food colouring with 3/4 tsp (4 mL) water; stir into 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) sweetened shredded coconut until evenly tinted. Repeat using blue, pink or yellow food colouring. Alternatively, substitute toasted coconut.
● Adults should supervise children when preparing this recipe.
● Remove toothpicks before serving.