Santa Hat Topped Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened (125 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (375 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk* (250 mL)
- 2 tbsp red food colouring (30 mL)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa (75 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar (15 mL)
- 1 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)
- 1 - 2 cans ready-to-spread vanilla frosting or your favorite homemade frosting (340 g ea)
- Red and green coloured sugars
- 28 HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Candy Cane Mint Candies or HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates (28)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches/6 cm in diameter) with paper or foil baking cups.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir together buttermilk and food colouring. Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups about 1/2 full with batter.
3. Bake about 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
4. Set aside about 3/4 cup (175 mL) frosting; frost cupcakes with remaining frosting. Generously sprinkle tops of frosted cupcakes with green or red coloured sugars. Remove wrappers from candies. Place reserved frosting in heavy-duty (freezer) resealable food storage bag. Cut off one corner of bag about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) from point. Squeeze quarter-sized dollop of frosting onto top of cupcake; push a HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Candy Cane Mint Candy or HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolate into center of dollop so that frosting comes up around bottom edge of candy piece forming the “fur�? cuff of Santa’s hat. Place small dab of frosting on tip of candy piece to finish hat.
Makes about 28 cupcakes.