Santa Hat Topped Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
Fun for kids of all ages, these Santa Hat Topped Red Velvet Cupcakes look as good as they taste. Kids will love topping the cupcakes with KISSES chocolates.
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 30 Minutes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened (125 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (375 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk* (250 mL)
- 2 tbsp red food colouring (30 mL)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 mL)
- 1/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa (75 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar (15 mL)
- 1 cup CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)
- 1 - 2 cans ready-to-spread vanilla frosting or your favorite homemade frosting (340 g ea)
- Red and green coloured sugars
- 28 HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Candy Cane Mint Candies or HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates (28)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches/6 cm in diameter) with paper or foil baking cups.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir together buttermilk and food colouring. Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups about 1/2 full with batter.
3. Bake about 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
4. Set aside about 3/4 cup (175 mL) frosting; frost cupcakes with remaining frosting. Generously sprinkle tops of frosted cupcakes with green or red coloured sugars. Remove wrappers from candies. Place reserved frosting in heavy-duty (freezer) resealable food storage bag. Cut off one corner of bag about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) from point. Squeeze quarter-sized dollop of frosting onto top of cupcake; push a HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Candy Cane Mint Candy or HERSHEY’S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolate into center of dollop so that frosting comes up around bottom edge of candy piece forming the “fur�? cuff of Santa’s hat. Place small dab of frosting on tip of candy piece to finish hat.
Makes about 28 cupcakes.