Rich Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Beginner
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (575 mL)
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (150 mL)
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine (175 mL)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (1)
- 2 cups CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (500 mL)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (250 mL)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) (300 mL)
- 1 1/3 cups CHIPITS SKOR Toffee Bits (325 mL)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease 13x9x2 inch (33 x 23 x 5 cm) baking pan.
2. Combine flour and brown sugar in large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg; mix well. Stir in 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) chocolate chips and nuts; set aside 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) mixture.
3. Press remaining crumb mixture onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over hot crust; set aside 1/4 cup (50 mL) toffee bits. Sprinkle remaining toffee bits over sweetened condensed milk. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture and remaining 1/2 cup (125 mL) chips over top.
4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Top with reserved toffee bits. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Makes about 48 bars.
For an even greater burst of chocolate taste, substitute HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Baking Chips with HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Chunks.