Red Velvet Trifle
This trifle is the perfect ending to dinner. Red velvet cake combined with chocolate and cookies make for one delicious dessert!
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|One-half HERSHEY'S RED VELVET CAKE (recipe follows)|
|2||packages vanilla pudding mix (102 g each)|
|36||chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed|
|1 cup||HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (250 mL)|
|38||HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Milk Chocolates|
|12||HERSHEY'S KISSES Brand Candy Cane Mint Candies|
|2 cups||sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping, divided (500 mL)|
- 1. Prepare HERSHEY'S RED VELVET CAKE; cool completely. Crumble one half of cake into pieces. Wrap remaining cake for another use.
2. Prepare pudding according to package directions; refrigerate until ready to assemble trifle. Remove wrappers from milk chocolates and candy cane mint candies; set aside.
3. Stir chocolate chips into pudding. Place 1-3/4 cups (425 mL) cookie crumbs in bottom of 8-inch (20 cm) trifle bowl with 5-inch (13 cm) sides. Layer with about 1/2 of cake crumbles and 1-2/3 cup (400 mL) pudding. Place 26 milk chocolate pieces around side of bowl with bottoms against side of bowl. Top with 1 cup (250 mL) whipped cream. Repeat layering cookies, cake and pudding, ending with whipped cream. Garnish trifle by alternating milk chocolates and candy cane mint candies along edge of bowl. Cover; refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe created for The Hershey Company by Mommy Hates Cooking.
HERSHEY'S RED VELVET CAKE
1/2 cup (125 mL) butter or margarine, softened (1 stick)
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk or sour milk*
2 tbsp (30 mL) red food colouring
2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (75 mL) HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking soda
1 tbsp (15 mL) vinegar
1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch (33x23x5-cm) pan.
2. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir together buttermilk and food colouring. Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Frost as desired.
Makes 12 servings.
* Tip: To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon (15 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).