Pumpkin Seed and Almond Bark
SKILL LEVEL : Advanced
- 3/4 cup TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS (recipe follows) (175 mL)
- 3/4 cup chopped toasted almonds*, divided (175 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (375 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks) (375 mL)
- 1 3/4 cups sugar (425 mL)
- 3 tbsp light corn syrup (45 mL)
- 3 tbsp water (45 mL)
- 1. Prepare TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS and toast almonds.
2. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 13x9x2-inch (33x23x5-cm) pan with foil; butter foil. Sprinkle chocolate chips in pan; set aside.
2. Melt butter in heavy 3-quart (3 L) saucepan; add sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 280°F (140°C) (soft crack stage on candy thermometer or until syrup, when dropped into small amount to very cold water; separates into threads which are hard and brittle. (Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of saucepan.)
3. Remove from heat. Set aside 2 tablespoons (30 mL) toasted pumpkin seeds and 2 tablespoons (30 mL) toasted almonds; stir remaining pumpkin seeds and almonds into hot mixture. Immediately spread mixture evenly over chocolate chips in prepared pan; do not disturb chips. Sprinkle with reserved pumpkin seeds and almonds.
4. Cool completely; remove from pan. Remove foil; break candy into small pieces. Store in tightly covered container in cool, dry place.
Makes about 2 pounds (1 kg) of candy.
TOASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS:
1. Scrape seeds and attached fibers from pumpkin with large metal spoon. Place in colander and rinse with water to help separate seeds from fiber. Place seeds in medium saucepan; cover seeds with water. Salt water; heat to boiling and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until seeds begin to look translucent. Drain; transfer to baking sheet lined with paper towels; pat well to dry.
2. Heat oven to 425°F (220°C). Toss seeds with 1 tablespoon (15 mL) vegetable oil and dash of salt; spread on baking sheet. Roast 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted. Cool completely.
*To toast almonds: Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown; cool.