Peanut Butter Polka Dot Bars Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 26 Minutes
- 1 1/4 cup butter or margarine, divided (300 mL)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (175 mL)
- 2 cups light brown sugar, packed (500 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, divided (12 mL)
- 2 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (625 mL)
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour (625 mL)
- 1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa (150 mL)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (75 mL)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk) (398 mL)
- 1 1/3 cups REESE’S MINI PIECES Candy (283 g)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Beat 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, peanut butter and brown sugar until well blended. Add eggs and 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla; beat thoroughly.
2. Stir together oats, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to butter mixture. (Dough will be thick.) Remove 2 cups (500 mL) dough; set aside. Press remaining dough onto bottom of 13x9x2-inch (33x23x5-cm) baking pan.
3. Prepare Chocolate Filling: melt remaining 1/2 cup (1 stick) (125 mL) butter or margarine in saucepan over low heat. Stir in cocoa and sugar. Add sweetened condensed milk; cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla extract. Spread filling evenly over dough. Sprinkle candy pieces evenly over filling. Crumble reserved dough evenly over filling.
4. Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. (Chocolate will be soft.) Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.
Makes 24 to 36 bars.