Mini Marbled Easter Cakes
SKILL LEVEL : BeginnerPREP TIME : 20 Minutes
|1 pkg||HERSHEY’S EGGIES Candy, divided (220 g)|
|3/4 cup||all-purpose flour, sifted (175 mL)|
|1/2 tsp||baking powder (2 mL)||Pinch salt|
|1/3 cup||unsalted butter (at room temperature) (75 mL)|
|1/2 cup||granulated sugar (125 mL)|
|1||egg (at room temperature)|
|1 tsp||vanilla extract (5 mL)|
|1/3 cup||milk, at room temperature (75 mL)|
|1 cup||prepared vanilla frosting (250 mL)||Marble Icing:|
|1/2 cup||icing sugar (125 mL)|
|1 tsp||white corn syrup (5 mL)|
|1 to 3 drops||pink paste or gel food colouring|
|1 to 3 drops||yellow paste or gel food colouring|
|1 to 3 drops||green paste or gel food colouring|
|1 to 3 drops||blue or purple paste or gel food colouring|
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 6 muffin cups with paper liners; set aside.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In separate bowl, beat together butter and sugar, using electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Beat in egg; beat in vanilla.
3. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in 3 parts and milk in 2 parts, starting and ending with flour mixture. Scrape down bowl as needed between additions. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, about two-thirds full.
4. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until tester comes out clean when inserted into centre. Let cool completely on rack.
5. Peel liners from each cupcake. Reserve 18 HERSHEY’S EGGIES Candies for garnish; chop remaining HERSHEY’S EGGIES Candy. Trim top and sides of cupcakes as needed. Slice each cupcake in half horizontally. Spread 1 tbsp (15 mL) frosting on bottom half of each cupcake. Top with chopped HERSHEY’S EGGIES Candy and cap with top halves of cupcakes. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of each cupcake. Refrigerate until chilled and frosting is firm.
6. Marble Icing: Stir together icing sugar, 2 tsp (10 mL) hot water and corn syrup until smooth; divide into 4 small bowls. Stir 1 to 3 drops pink food colouring into one bowl; repeat with yellow, green and blue food colouring in remaining bowls.
7. Drizzle icing over each cupcake. Garnish with reserved HERSHEY’S EGGIES Candy. Let stand at room temperature until set. Makes 6 servings.
• Alternatively, prepare cakes using vanilla cake mix.
• Leftover chopped candy makes a great treat for snacking!