Luscious Chocolate Raspberry Truffle Cake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
- CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 3/4 cup semi-firm butter (175 mL)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (300 mL)
- 4 eggs, at room temperature (4)
- 1 1/2 cups CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips, melted and cooled (375 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla (5 mL)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (550 mL)
- 1 tsp baking soda (5 mL)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
- 1 cup milk (250 mL)
- 3/4 cup seedless raspberry jam (175 mL)
- Garnish: fresh raspberries, optional
- RICH DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 2 cups whipping cream (35%) (500 mL)
- 3 cups CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips (750 mL)
- 1/3 cup softened butter (75 mL)
- Raspberry liqueur, to taste
- RICH DARK CHOCOLATE GANACHE:
1. In medium saucepan over medium heat, heat cream to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 1 minute.
2. Place CHIPITS dark chocolate chips in large bowl. Pour hot cream over chips; let stand 5 minutes. Stir slowly until smooth.
3. Stir in butter until smooth. Stir in liqueur if using. Let stand until very thick (consistency of soft butter). Once cool, cover with plastic wrap. Store at cool room temperature up to a day. (Refrigerate up to 3 days. To soften, warm at room temperature or in microwave until spreadable.)
Makes 3 cups (750 mL).
1. Heat oven to 350° F (180°C).
2. In large bowl, with electric mixer, cream butter and sugar at low speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in melted and cooled dark chocolate chips and vanilla, at medium speed, until well blended.
4. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Alternately beat dry ingredients and milk into creamed mixture. Beat until smooth.
5. Spread batter evenly in two 9-inch (23 cm) round, 2-inch (5 cm) deep baking pans, bottoms lined with wax paper circles. Bake 30 to 35 minutes (reduce temperature for dark pans) or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack; remove pan and wax paper. Let cool completely.
6. Cut each cake horizontally into 2 layers. Place one half of cake cut side up onto serving plate; spread with 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the jam and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the Ganache. Place next layer, cut side up, on top. Repeat with jam and Ganache. Repeat for third layer using bottom half of next cake. Finish with top half of cake, smooth side up.
7. Spread cake with remaining Ganache. Refrigerate to set. Garnish with raspberries and additional dark chocolate chips, if desired.
Makes about 16 servings.
• Ganache may be poured while warm over cakes and other desserts. Chill to set.