Lemon Coconut Cupcakes Recipe
|Cupcake Ingredients:||2 1/2 cups||cake & pastry flour (625 mL)||1 1/2 cups||sugar, divided (375 mL)||1 tbsp||baking powder (15 mL)||1/2 tsp||salt (2 mL)||1 tbsp||finely grated lemon zest (15 mL)||3/4 cup||buttermilk (175 mL)||1/3 cup||vegetable oil (80 mL)||1/4 cup||lemon juice (60 mL)||2||large eggs, separated (2)||1 1/2 tsp||vanilla extract (7 mL)||Coconut Frosting Ingredients:||3/4 cup||unsalted butter, at room temperature (175 mL)||4-6 cups||icing sugar, sifted (1-1.5 L)||6 tbsp||coconut milk (90 mL)||1 tsp||vanilla extract (5 mL)||1/2 tsp||coconut extract (2 mL)||CHIPITS White Chocolate Chips, for décor||sweetened flaked coconut, for décor||frost with a #21 small star tip piping bag||12||large marshmallows, cut in half (12)||48||brown REESE’S PIECES, or CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips (48)||24||red or pink candies, for the tongue (24)||24||HERSHEY’S Creamy Milk Chocolate drops (for the nose) (24)|
- Icing Instructions:
1. Beat the butter and 2 cups (500 mL) of the icing sugar with electric beaters or using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until blended. Add the coconut milk, vanilla and coconut extract and beat in.
2. Add 2 more cups (500 mL) of icing sugar, beat on low speed and then beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, adding more icing sugar as needed until the frosting holds its shape when the beaters are lifted (the variation in amount of icing sugar is due to how soft the butter is, and how warm and/or humid the weather is).
3. Spoon or pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with coconut and CHIPITS White Chocolate Chips. Do not refrigerate the cupcakes, if preparing ahead.
Puppy Décor Instructions:
4. Pipe a little frosting to adhere a marshmallow half onto the cupcake, to make the muzzle. Place it at “6 o’clock�? on the cupcake. Pipe frosting up the sides of the marshmallow to cover the top of the muzzle, and the remaining surface of the cupcake until covered.
5. Press two brown REESE’S PIECES or CHIPITS Dark Chocolate Chips upright (not flat) just above the marshmallow muzzle for the eyes.
6. Place a HERSHEY’S Creamy Milk Chocolate drop on the muzzle as the nose and tuck a pink or red candy under the muzzle as the tongue.
7. For the ears, pipe an upside down “L�? on each side of the eyes. The cupcakes will keep, wrapped and unrefrigerated, for 2 days.
Makes 24 cupcakes.