Layered Apricot Snacking Bars Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : Intermediate
|1 1/3 cups||CHIPITS White Chocolate Chips, divided (225 g)|
|6 oz||dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) pieces (175 g)|
|1 cup||boiling water (250 mL)|
|1/2 cup||margarine, softened (125 mL)|
|1/3 cup||granulated sugar (75 mL)|
|1/4 cup||packed light brown sugar (50 mL)|
|1 tsp||vanilla (5 mL)|
|1 cup plus 2 tbsp||all-purpose flour, divided (250 mL plus 30 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||baking soda (1 mL)|
|1/4 tsp||salt (1 mL)|
|1/2 cup||wheat germ (125 mL)|
|2 tbsp||honey (30 mL)|
|1||egg white (1)|
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Set aside 1/3 cup (75 mL) white chocolate chips for glaze (recipe follows).
2. In small bowl, stir together apricots and boiling water; cover. Let stand 5 minutes; drain.
3. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat margarine, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until well blended. Stir together 1 cup (250 mL) flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to margarine mixture, beating until well blended.
4. Stir in remaining white chocolate chips; press mixture onto bottom of ungreased 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan. Spread softened apricot pieces over cookie base.
5. Stir together wheat germ, remaining 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour, honey and egg white until blended; crumble over apricots.
6. Bake 30 minutes or until wheat germ is lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Top with WHITE CHOCOLATE GLAZE.
Makes about 16 bars.
WHITE CHOCOLATE GLAZE: In small microwave-safe bowl, stir together reserved 1/3 cup (75 mL) white chocolate chips and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) shortening. Microwave on HIGH (100%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds or until chips are melted when stirred. Using tines of fork, drizzle mixture over top; let stand until glaze is firm. Cut into bars.