Mini marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream (optional)
1. Stir sugar with cocoa and salt in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in hot water and set over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
2. Add milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until steaming and heated through (do not boil). Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Beat with a whisk or electric mixer until foamy. Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream (if using).
Makes about 5 cups (1.25 L).
Variations: • Spiced Cocoa: Stir in a pinch each of ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Serve with a cinnamon stick.
• Mint Cocoa: Stir in 1/2 tsp (2 mL) mint extract, 3 tbsp (45 mL) crushed peppermint hard candies or 2 tbsp (30 mL) white créme de menthe.
• Citrus Cocoa: Stir in 1/2 tsp (2 mL) orange extract or 2 tbsp (30 mL) orange liqueur.
• Swiss Mocha: Stir in 2 tsp (10 mL) instant coffee granules.
• Cocoa au Lait: Omit marshmallows or whipped cream. Spoon 2 tbsp (30 mL) softened vanilla ice cream on each serving.
• Slim-trim Cocoa: Omit sugar and substitute nonfat milk for regular. Stir in sugar substitute to taste before serving.
• Canadian Cocoa: Stir in 1/2 tsp (2 mL) maple extract.
• Microwave Single Serving: Combine 1 tsp (5 mL) HERSHEY'S Cocoa, 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar and a dash of salt in a heat-proof mug. Add 2 tsp (10 mL) cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave on HIGH for 60 to 90 seconds or until hot. Stir before serving.
Top 5 HERSHEY'S CHIPITS Cookie Recipes
There's nothing better than a warm cookie fresh from the oven. Can you guess our most popular cookie recipe?