Holiday Chip Bonbon Cookies
|3/4 cup||granulated sugar (175 mL)||2/3 cup||butter, softened (150 mL)||4 oz||plain, brick-style cream cheese, softened (125 g)||1||egg (1)||1 tsp||vanilla extract (5 mL)||2 cups||all-purpose flour (500 mL)||3/4 tsp||baking powder (4 mL)||1/4 tsp||salt (1 mL)||1 pkg||CHIPITS® Vanilla Flavoured Holiday Chips, divided (200 g)||Chocolate Glaze:||1/2 cup||CHIPITS® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (125 mL)||2 tbsp||butter (30 mL)||1 tbsp||corn syrup (15 mL)|
- 1. Beat the sugar, butter and cream cheese in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until creamy. Stir the flour with the baking powder and salt; add to the cream cheese mixture and beat on low until well combined. Stir in 3/4 cup (175 mL) holiday chips; chop the remaining chips and set aside. Chill the dough for 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll into balls.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Roll 1 tbsp (15 mL) portions of dough into smooth balls. Place balls on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; chill for 15 minutes. Bake, in batches, for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms are golden. Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes; transfer to a rack to cool completely.
3. Glaze: Melt chocolate chips with butter and corn syrup until smooth. Dip the top of each cookie in the glaze, shake off the excess and sprinkle with some of the reserved chips; place on a rack. Repeat with remaining cookies, glaze and chips. Let stand until set.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
• Make a chocolate-orange bonbon by adding 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated orange zest with the vanilla extract when making the cookie dough.
• For a lemon bonbon, add 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon zest to the cookie dough and replace the chocolate glaze with a lemon glaze. Whisk 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) icing sugar with 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice until smooth. If needed, add additional lemon juice, 1/2 tsp (2 mL) at a time, until glaze is pourable.