HERSHEY'S Especially Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 30 Minutes
- 2 cups granulated sugar (500 mL)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (approx.) (425 mL)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 cup milk (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (125 mL)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 1 cup boiling water (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (125 mL)
- 2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (150 mL)
- 3 cups icing sugar (750 mL)
- 1/3 cup milk (75 mL)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (5 mL)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch (1.5 L) round baking pans.
2. Stir sugar with flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer, on medium speed, for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Divide the batter evenly between prepared pans.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans to a rack and cool completely.
4. Frosting: Melt butter and stir in cocoa. Alternately add icing sugar and milk until smooth. Add additional milk, a bit at a time, until a spreadable consistency is reached; stir in vanilla. Frost cooled cake.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.