Haunted Tree Halloween Cake Recipe
If you love chocolate and peanut butter, be sure to try this impressive cake that hits all the right notes!
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 50 Minutes
- 2 cups sugar (500 mL)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (425 mL)
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa (175 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (7 mL)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- 2 eggs (2)
- 1 cup milk (250 mL)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (125 mL)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (10 mL)
- 1 cup boiling water (250 mL)
- 2 cans vanilla ready -to-spread frosting Red and yellow food colouring (2)
- 1 1/3 cups REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUPS Candy Minis (226 g )
- 2 tbsp HERSHEY'S Cocoa (30 mL)
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch (23-cm) round baking pans.
2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire rack. Cool completely.
4. Set aside 1/2 cup (125 mL) frosting. Tint remaining frosting to desired shade of orange with red and yellow food colouring.
5. Coarsely chop 1 cup (250 mL) mini REESE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS Candy; set aside. Place first cake layer on serving plate; frost top of layer with about 3/4 cup (175 mL) frosting. Top with chopped REESE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS Candy. Add second cake layer; complete frosting cake.
6. Add cocoa to reserved frosting; place in heavy-duty (freezer) resealable food storage bag. Cut off tip of bag about 1/4 inch (5 mm) from one corner. Draw leafless tree and branches onto top of cake by piping chocolate frosting in desired design. Add remaining mini REESE PEANUT BUTTER CUPS Candy as few remaining leaves on tree and as leaves that have already fallen to the ground.
Makes 12 servings.